[Rock-dev] Discussion about fault response tables

Matthias Goldhoorn matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de
Tue May 7 15:55:56 CEST 2013

On 02.05.2013 10:46, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> Hello everyone (and more specifically the advanced Roby/Syskit developers)
>
> Even though Roby/Syskit have a (pretty) rich fault representation /
> detection mechanism already, one bit that was missing is a way to
> detect and react to faults.
>
> I'm trying to change that. I've put a proposal here:
>
> http://rock.opendfki.de/wiki/WikiStart/OngoingWork/RockRoby/FaultResponseTables
>
> Discussions / comments would be very welcome
Don't see why we can't this simply handle by the state machine?
So far i understand roby it reactes to some events. The Statemachine
interface defines some "wider" reactions.
So why we need an additional fault-response system. In your example you
can simply implement an statemachine that handles this reboot actions
and which forwards all other events. On the using level instead using
the Task use the defined statemachine.

I see the intention to really define some "faults" but as developer and
"fault" is only an signal/event that should be handled simliar than
everything else, an additional level could make it (Again) more
unintuitive because thinks can be (again) handelet in different ways...

I propose instead adding this new interface that you add the "command"
(like retry) to the state_machine interface.

Matthias
> --
> Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
> Senior Researcher
>
> Space&  Security Robotics
> Underwater Robotics
>
> !!! Achtung, neue Telefonnummer!!!
>
> Standort Bremen:
> DFKI GmbH
> Robotics Innovation Center
> Robert-Hooke-Straße 5
> 28359 Bremen, Germany
>
> Phone: +49 (0)421 178-454136
> Fax:   +49 (0)421 218-454150
> E-Mail:robotik at dfki.de
>
> Weitere Informationen:http://www.dfki.de/robotik
> Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Kuenstliche Intelligenz GmbH
> Firmensitz: Trippstadter Straße 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
> Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster
> (Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
> Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Kaiserslautern (HRB 2313)
> USt-Id.Nr.:    DE 148646973
> Steuernummer:  19/673/0060/3

  Dipl.-Inf. Matthias Goldhoorn
  Space and Underwater Robotic