[Rock-dev] Fwd: Re: Robot visualization in Vizkit3D

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Tue May 7 16:41:12 CEST 2013

On 05/07/2013 04:38 PM, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:

> [...]
KDL is available in Rock. Last time I looked, the URDF tooling was
reasonably ROS independent, so could be integrated in Rock as well.

>> * It makes use of the ressource_retriever from ROS
>>     (http://ros.org/wiki/resource_retriever), but can also be used
>>     without. Absolute paths to the 3D meshes have to be set in the URDF
>>     file then.
I guess we would have to look into how to handle that within Rock. The
ressource retriever is problematic as it depends on packages that
conflict with dependencies in GDAL, which we use in envire (a pretty
core package)

>> Forward kinematics are calculated within the visualization. Practically
>> that requires joint data (current positions) as input for the plug in.
I guess that can be arranged ;-)

>> Having it as part of ROCK one could also say that forward kinematics are
>> calculated elsewhere, and the input for the plugin would be 3D poses for
>> each link of the robot. This is the way they do it in ROS (with RVIZ,
>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/rviz).
We definitely could feed it transformer data as well.

In general, it sounds very useful !
--
Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
Space & Security Robotics