[Rock-dev] 3d point uncertainty

Javier Hidalgo Carrió javier.hidalgo_carrio at dfki.de
Thu Nov 7 18:24:39 CET 2013

Hello,

I am hesitating if it is worthy to include uncertainty in the point
cloud: /base/samples/Pointcloud.hpp
In the same manner that color information: leave the field empty if no
uncertainty is needed in order to reduce data volume (
std::vector<base::Matrix3f> uncertainty;)
The rational behind is to have something similar to the enclosed figure
when the 3d point comes from stereo triangulation. I guess uncertainty
is more needed when 3d points are affected by projection errors and much
less when the point cloud comes from lasers scans.

Since this would affect a base-type. I would appreciate any idea or
suggestion.

Javier.

P.S: The figure is from the paper "Robust visual odometry using stereo
reconstruction error model"