[Rock-dev] 3d point uncertainty

Steffen Planthaber Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Fri Nov 8 10:01:14 CET 2013

Hi,

I don't know whether this works for the log player, but: Is it possible
to create a new type including the uncertaincy by inheritance and the
logs stay compatible when an implicit cast is possible?

Writing an output with an implicit cast works, but i don't know
currently whether RTT allows implicit casts for input ports (i.e.
connecting a output port of the derived class to an input port of the
base class. (I guess the log replaying is using ports, I never used int,
yet)

If that works we could:

a) Provide implicit casts
and
b) Reconsider the way we change base/types:

1: Use inheritance to introduce changes (same name for the class but
different namespace like "changes", "adaptations", "upcoming", whatever)

2: After a reasonable time (TBD) both classes are merged and placed in
the base::samples namespace. In this stage, the "old" inheritance
structure (unmerged types) is moved to the backward compatibility and
implicit casts are provided from and to the new type.

Or am I missing something?

Best, Steffen

Am 07.11.2013 19:59, schrieb Sylvain Joyeux:
> On 11/07/2013 07:57 PM, Alexander Duda wrote:
>>   From my point of view it makes to add this kind of informations to the
>> point cloud. The only problem we might get is that the log files are no
>> longer compatible and must be updated.
>
> This last point is something we need sorted out. We are talking for a
> really long time now about updating some core types, so we REALLY need
> to make sure that the infrastructure to update log files is foolproof.
>
> Sylvain

  Steffen Planthaber
  Weltraumrobotik

  #### Neue Anschrift und neue Kontaktdaten! ####

  DFKI Bremen
  Robotics Innovation Center
  Robert-Hooke-Str.5
  28359 Bremen, Germany