[Rock-dev] csv_logger and rock-toolchain

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Wed Nov 13 10:12:57 CET 2013

On 11/13/2013 08:27 AM, Matthias Goldhoorn wrote:

>> In general, please PLEASE refrain from adding packages to the "core"
>> rock (rock-toolchain, rock-base) without discussing it on the ML.
> *ack, but added orogen_metadata also already, as discussed in personal*
And the it still applies. We've discussed the implementation, I like it,
but I *never* thought that you would add it to rock-toolchain "just like
that". Don't forget that everyone installs everything from rock-toolchain.
> Nerveless where should the logger go?, rock.base, rock?,
> project-internal (*against since it's still from my point of view
> general useable).
Point: project internal until there is a clear path of how it can be
integrated in the complete workflow (which does not preclude putting the
code on gitorious, just the addition to the package sets)
Looking five minutes at the code, here's what comes into my mind:
  - the MyValueVisitor (no comment on the naming) class could very
easily go into typelib proper. There is already a CSV visitor in
typelib, with a lot less functionality.
  - the functionality itself, in pocolog (using the underlying visitor)
  - the logging of connections, well, actually, quite easy to integrate
in ruby scripts by storing it as annotations on the input ports each
time a connection is created / removed. Not perfect, but you won't do
better without changing RTT. Syskit would benefit automatically.

Point: whenever you have something that you believe to be a generic
tooling-like problem, you would save yourself a lot of time by first
asking on the ML.

--
Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
Senior Researcher