[Rock-dev] external/opencv 2.4.5 only in flavor master ?

Alexander Duda Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Thu Nov 21 22:34:26 CET 2013

Am 21.11.2013 um 21:45 schrieb Matthias Goldhoorn <matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de>:

> Am 21.11.2013 18:55, schrieb Alexander Duda:
>> Is there any reason why external/opencv is overwritten with opencv 2.4.5
>> ONLY in flavor master in rock/libs.autobuild?
>>
>> I would propose to :
>> * remove this overwrite
>> * change rock/source.yml to use the git repository for external/opencv
>> instead of downloading the tar
>> * track the current release which is 2.4.7
>>
>> Greets Alex
>>
> The intenetion is keeping backward compatibility for next/master, sinc'e a change in a versionnumber could break things, changes to versions are applied to master first, on the merge windows then to next and so on. After the change would to to stable simply the source.yml file get's change and the override has to be removed.
>
> That's the workflow i know.
>
> Matthias

If not absolute necessary I would try to avoid this workflow for external packages and use the same version for all three flavors. Otherwise, this would mean you have to track different versions for each flavor and more important mixing flavors is getting even more troublesome.

In the case of opencv we definitely do not have to track different version because opencv developers guaranty source-level and binary-level compatibility between versions. The idea behind external/opencv was that all packages needing a very decent opencv version depend on this package rather than the one from the os packing system. But at the moment external/opencv defined in rock/source.yml is even older than the one shipped with Ubuntu 12.04 being the oldest ubuntu version we support.

Alex