[Rock-dev] Hopefully final cleanup of auv_control

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Thu Sep 12 15:13:48 CEST 2013

Hi.

I've done one more code review for auv_control.

First of all, thanks to (mainly) tim for all the work he done on it.

However, as always for something that important, there are always
details ... (that's where the devil is)

I've pushed a proposal to the final_cleanup branch on the repository.
The goal of this proposal is to clarify the semantic of each task. In
general, I found that understanding exactly which task does what w.r.t.
the control domain (position/velocity) and the control frame
(worl/aligned/body) was really difficult in the current design. Some
tasks were a bit "bastard" in the sense that they did not fit the
general control task description (ForceTorqueController). The PID
controller handling was duplicated three times, and so on.

Another point was that putting the pose_samples port into Base made all
tasks have it, even though some of then do *NOT* need a pose sample at all.

Finally, there was a real real problem documentation-wise. I've tried to
do a big effort there in the orogen file. There still is a problem,
though, in the data structures (they are completely undocumented, which
is truly awful since the angular and linear elements are not defined)

I would be glad if you guys could have a look. If we all agree on the
updated design, does Tim have the time to refactor the code ? If not,
would one of you have the time ?
--
Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
Space & Security Robotics