[Rock-dev] utilrb compilation problem

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at m4x.org
Thu Sep 19 11:33:20 CEST 2013

On 09/19/2013 09:41 AM, CHANEL Caroline wrote:

> Hello, thanks for you response,
> I intalled ruby 1.9.3.. but now the problem came from
>
> failed: there is an osdeps definition for ruby, but not for this operating system and version (resp. fedora and schrödinger’scat, 19, default)
> bootstrap.sh: ligne46: autoproj : commande introuvable
> autoproj failed to update your configuration. This means most of the time that there
> was an temporary network problem. You can try to manually complete the bootstrap by
> typing these three commands::
>   . env.sh
>   autoproj update
>   autoproj fast-build
>
> I think that the only way to resolve it.... is change the test about HAVE_RUBY_ 19 on inclusion files in utilrb_ext.cc
>
> can you do a patch ??
Hey. I am CC:ing rock-dev as I really would like the rock users to be
aware of the status of Rock/orocos-toolchain on fedora

You would hit the same problem with ruby 2.0.

The issue you are hitting is that (1) the fedora support in autoproj
osdeps is in a beta state and (2) the osdeps are unmaintained as nobody
uses Rock on fedora.

One way to resolve it quickly is for you to bootstrap on ruby 1.9 and
answer only 'ruby' to the 'which osdeps do you want autoproj to install'
question. You will have to install the fedora packages manually, but at
least it is going to work fine.

In the long run, if you want to help adding the proper osdeps entries to
autoproj/orocos-toolchain so that it bootstraps fine on fedora, I am
more than willing to help (but then, let's do it in private ...)

On the ruby 2.0 support, the problem you have with utilrb is going to be
only the tip of the iceberg. There are other incompatibilities. I've
started testing the toolchain on ruby 2.0, but 2.0 has bugs (which are
getting fixed, but anyways)