[Rock-dev] joint_dispatcher

Dennis Mronga dennis.mronga at dfki.de
Wed Sep 25 17:28:31 CEST 2013

Hi,

I recently stumbled across the joint_dispatcher component, which
"nearly" seems to be what I need. However, it seems a bit complicated to
configure and I think it does not cover the following cases:

1. Send only a subset of all available joints to the input ports and
dispatch them correctly to the outputs, instead of always expecting all
available joints. Right now, the component crashes with an unhandled
exception, if you do not send all joints to the input port.

2. Get input from different sources and dispatch arbitrary subsets of
the inputs. E.g. if you have the joint state of the wheels and the joint
state of the manipulator as inputs and you want to output the port
"odometry" containing only the wheels, "manipulator" containing only the
manipulator and "full_joint_state" containing all joints.

Generally I think it would be nicest, if you just have to configure the
input and output ports with the corresponding joint names and the
distribution of the joint states is done by the component according to
the joint names. However, I think that would reduce a bit the
capabilities of the component!?

Before creating a branch and adding the functionality that I need, I
would like to know if anyone of you has used the joint_dispatcher and
has some remarks!?

Dennis

--
  Dipl.-Ing. Dennis Mronga
  Researcher

  Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   dennis.mronga at dfki.de