[Rock-dev] New type to represent 3D range measurements

Sascha Arnold sascha.arnold at dfki.de
Tue Aug 19 18:37:07 CEST 2014

Hi,
I just finished a first version of the new base type that can be used to
store 3D range measurements.
This is also the type that should replace the MultilevelLaserScan.

After some discussion with Alex I extended my first version to allow
different configurations regarding the angular resolution between the
scans. It leads to a bit more overhead but it is more flexible. It
allows to have:
- horizontal and vertical regular angles or
- horizontal irregular and vertical regular angles or
- horizontal regular and vertical irregular angles
This allows to store data from different kind of sensors, like the
velodyne, vertical or horizontal mounted 2D or everything that provides
a distance image.
The information is stored in a single vector in a row major form to
simplify the usage as a distance image.

Please have a look at the first version on my fork of base-types:
https://github.com/saarnold/base-types/commit/1796d23d002779639455d0ff3e4dd7876e404dad

I'll write a pull request as soon as it is complete. My next steps are
to adapt the visualization and to write the logfile conversion for the
old type.
If someone has a concern with something in that type please report it
now. Later it will be hard to change anything.
The name is currently Scan3D and is also open for discussion.

Best regards,
Sascha

--
  Sascha Arnold
  Unterwasserrobotik

  Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   Sascha.Arnold at dfki.de