[Rock-dev] New type to represent 3D range measurements

Steffen Planthaber Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Wed Aug 20 12:06:04 CEST 2014

Hi,

Technically the data represents a Depth Image, no matter which sensor
created it.

It contains an 2 dimesional array with the distances and information  to
use in order to crate a pointcloud.

It has really nothing to to with a "scan".

The name DepthImage though is misleading because nobody expects an
"image" from a laser scanner.

So I'd name the class without using scan, as the information could also
come from TOF od stereo cams.

What about:
  - DepthInformation
  - Depth3D
  - DepthMap <- from computer graphics: fits perfectly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_map

Thinking about this:

The start angle is not needed. The direction should be defined by the
middle of the "image", the start angle can be calculated by the
resolution or accumulated by the sum of irregular angles used.

Best, Steffen

Am 20.08.2014 um 11:35 schrieb Sascha Arnold:
> Hi Sylvain,
> I thought about naming them horizontal_entries or horizontal_size too.
> But an horizontal entry would of course be a vertical vector and I
> recall that this terminology led to confusion in the old type. Thats why
> I decided to use the matrix terminology. I'll think about renaming it or
> improving the documentation.
>
> In the opendfki wiki I already collected some naming proposals:
> - SweepedLaserScan
> - MultiLaserScan
> - LaserScanArray
> - MultiLevelLaserScan
> - LaserScan2
> - LaserScans
> - Scan3D
>
> Currently I prefer Scan3D. Feel free to vote or contribute.
>
> Best regards,
> Sascha
>
> Am 19.08.2014 um 20:38 schrieb Sylvain Joyeux:
>> Two comments:
>>     - the row/col terminology is really weird for such a data structure.
>> Especially since 'rows' are vertical and 'cols' horizontal
>>     - I would prefer that the name says that the scan is a polar
>> representation. Scan3D feels wrong, but I don't really have a better
>> one.
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Sascha Arnold <sascha.arnold at dfki.de> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I just finished a first version of the new base type that can be used to
>>> store 3D range measurements.
>>> This is also the type that should replace the MultilevelLaserScan.
>>>
>>> After some discussion with Alex I extended my first version to allow
>>> different configurations regarding the angular resolution between the
>>> scans. It leads to a bit more overhead but it is more flexible. It
>>> allows to have:
>>> - horizontal and vertical regular angles or
>>> - horizontal irregular and vertical regular angles or
>>> - horizontal regular and vertical irregular angles
>>> This allows to store data from different kind of sensors, like the
>>> velodyne, vertical or horizontal mounted 2D or everything that provides
>>> a distance image.
>>> The information is stored in a single vector in a row major form to
>>> simplify the usage as a distance image.
>>>
>>> Please have a look at the first version on my fork of base-types:
>>> https://github.com/saarnold/base-types/commit/1796d23d002779639455d0ff3e4dd7876e404dad
>>>
>>> I'll write a pull request as soon as it is complete. My next steps are
>>> to adapt the visualization and to write the logfile conversion for the
>>> old type.
>>> If someone has a concern with something in that type please report it
>>> now. Later it will be hard to change anything.
>>> The name is currently Scan3D and is also open for discussion.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Sascha
>>>
>>> --
>>>     Sascha Arnold
>>>     Unterwasserrobotik
>>>
>>>     Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:
>>>     DFKI GmbH
> [...]

  Steffen Planthaber
  Weltraumrobotik

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de