[Rock-dev] autoproj commit

Jakob Schwendner jakob.schwendner at dfki.de
Mon Jul 21 10:34:47 CEST 2014

> >>       Here comes the neverending question: who has the time ?
> > To me its quite important that we start soon on this. I could try to
> > implement the autoproj extensions.
> > Sylvain, could you quickly outline how you set up your environment for
> > developing on the gems? Checkout the repo, and do a gem install
> > everytime you do a change?
>
>   1. add tools/autoproj and tools/autobuild to your manifest.
>   2. run aup tools/autoproj
>   3. re-source the env.sh (maybe run autoproj envsh, not sure)
>
> To create a subcommand, add an autoproj-XXXX (e.g. autoproj-commit) to
> the bin/ folder. You can have a look at autoproj-snapshot for what you want
> to do.

Thanks. One question, what is the reason that local package sets are treated differently in the codepath?
E.g. the snapshot feature makes a difference here, since it writes one into version control info (for local package sets) and one into the overrides. Until now I didn't even know local package sets existed :)

My plan is to:
- make autoproj commit write the commitids to a file called 'versions' in the autoproj folder,
   and create a commit in the autoproj repo with that file.
- make autoproj aware of the versions file, and load it before the overrides
- autoproj update seems a bit tricky. You don't want it to revert to the commit from the versions file if you have local commits. Maybe the default behavior should be to fast forward if possible, and otherwise don't do anything to the repo.

I'll try to get the basic concept running first, and then we can see where to tweak.

Cheers,

Jakob