[Rock-dev] Questions Regarding Typelib

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 23:39:35 CEST 2014

> And here is the point i criticize about the bashing from sylvain, he
> didn't have a point
> at all, and started bashing me for no reason. I have good reasons for the
> things I do, and
> I really hate it that I need to defend every step I make.

For the record: I've made three mails in this whole thread that were
questioning your approach. In these three emails, 80% were giving facts
(basically, the benchmarking I've done) and the 20% of the rest were saying
that I believe that you are optimizing the wrong parts and explaining WHY I
believe so. Having re-read these emails (3 times), I really don't see any
bashing (but I've been told that I have a high threshold to consider
something bashing).

The most offensive statement is probably
   In other words: you are attempting to optimize something without having
done any profiling. This is a cardinal sin.
Which is true and true:
  - you would have shown some detailed profiling of pocolog runs if it was
otherwise
  - optimizing without profiling is like debugging by looking at the code:
trying to do science without doing any experiment ever.

real    0m56.849s
> user    0m54.927s
> sys     0m1.832s

Are you *even* interested in the fact that I replay twice as many samples
in more streams with 1/4th of the time on my machine ? That's what bothers
me here (and why I think you're looking at the wrong angle). It would leave
75% left to optimize after your changes. Or maybe my benchmarking is wrong.
You want to handwave it away ? Your choice to make ! But simply say so
instead of calling me names.

You've measured that typelib demarshalling is not the issue ? Great, you
proved me wrong there, I can have a look elsewhere (Mea culpa: I did affirm
in a previous email that it was the problem without having profiled it yet.
Having done some real profiling today, I could have told you that it was
indeed not the main issue). Now, it does *not* remove the fact that I
replay (with a clean pure-pocolog script) a lot faster that yours do. The
question I am asking myself is why. It seems that I should be ashamed that
I do.

Anyways, this closes the issue for me. F.. do whatever you want.