[Rock-dev] Flavours, freezes, updates

Traveler Hauptman traveler.hauptman at iit.it
Mon Jun 23 15:43:45 CEST 2014

On a side note: If you do keep 'next' consider renaming it. As a native
english speaker I assumed that rocks 'master' and 'next' were the
equivalent of 'testing' and 'development' respectively. I assumed that
'next' held the newest, most unstable code. It was only when I stumbled
upon the correct documentation that I understood.

When the structure of the group allows, I remove 'master' from my git
repos. There are too many different git workflows and too many git
tutorials using 'master' written by people that aren't yet experienced
using git. New users to git always seem to be confused that the master
branch is special in some way. Removing it creates a little more
confusion and hand-holding in the beginning for the newbs but prevents
bigger problems down the road. (Though since you are migrating to github
you should adopt their workflow to best use their tools.)

Finally, in my opinion, providing tools for maintaining a distribution
(putting together a large collection of libraries/applications and
selecting versions and build configuration for them so that they all
work together without additional work by the end-user) and providing
development automation tools to support developing a group of
interdependent libraries with multiple source repositories, are
different things. These two things have different work-flows and the
person doing the work has to be in two different mindsets if he is doing
both.

-Traveler