[Rock-dev] Flavours, freezes, updates

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 21:43:37 CEST 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 9:33 PM, Janosch Machowinski <
Janosch.Machowinski at dfki.de> wrote:

> Hey,
> after reading all of this about snapshots I was wondering,
> if going for real releases wouldn't be the better option.
> This would cover both working scenarios:

Agreed. We're past this already (I believe).

The issue is not anymore for the rock core code (which, I agree with you,
should have proper releases that people can track), but the rest of the
code, i.e. the project's own code or other packages that are shared across
projects but are not part of rock. For those, you won't have proper
releases, stuff can still break two days before a demo and boom. Once the
demo is passed, it is also important to still be able to replicate the
demo's code and so on. And what about one updates to a new rock release but
notices only a few weeks later that something breaks ?

The other nice side-effect of having a global history is that one can do a
global bisect ... :P