[Rock-dev] oroocs.rb: policy for disconnected port writers

Alexander Duda Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Tue Mar 11 12:09:03 CET 2014

Hi,

at the moment disconnected orocos.rb port writers do not raise if
someone uses them for writing. Instead, the method writer.write returns
false meaning that there is no one listening (undocumented behavior).

The question is, should we document it or should we change the behavior?
In my opinion a writer should raise under all circumstances if someone
uses it for writing after it got disconnected from its remote port.

Any opinions on that? Otherwise, I am going to change the default behavior.

EXAMPLE:
                 writer = Orocos.get("test_task").port("string_port").writer
                 puts writer.write("123")  #returns true
Orocos.get("test_task").port("string_port").disconnect_all
                 puts writer.write("123")  #returns false but should
raise Orocos::ComError

Cheers
Alex

--
Dipl.-Ing. Alexander Duda
Unterwasserrobotik

Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   Alexander.Duda at dfki.de