[Rock-dev] typelib: merging toolchain-2.7 into master / OS 10.9

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Tue May 20 15:17:02 CEST 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Alexander Duda <Alexander.Duda at dfki.de>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there a particular reason why toolchain-2.7 is not merged into
> master?

Because the orocos toolchain developers develop on the side because that's
easier for them, and believe that it is my job to merge the stuff back into
master proper. We therefore end up with a fork of typelib, which we wanted
to avoid in the first place [/rant]

> I am asking because the current master is still using dyncall
> 0.6 which is not compatible with OS X 10.9.

dyncall is being unused for a pretty long time in typelib ... I think that
if it is indeed problematic, we should probably just rip out the support
for method calls from typelib altogether. (These days, ffi would be a much
better choice)

> Furthermore there are a number of issues with the current build on OSX
> but I think they also apply for other Os:
> * rpath is not turned on for all targets therefore typelib_ruby cannot
> find some libs
> * rpath seperator is ";" instead of the used ":"
> * typelib_ruby is build as module. But at the same time its header are
> used by orocos.rb. This results in undefined references which works for
> gcc but not for clang. Therefore, either we should install a typlib_ruby
> lib or use header only.

??? Don't understand this. You are allowed to link to a module. Moreover,
the whole point of having dynamically loadable modules is that undefined
references should be allowed. We should definitely not install two versions
of the same shared object.

In other words, I think there *is* a way to setup typelib_ruby so that
clang does not complain. What specific error do you get ?

> I have a merged and fixed version on my machine. Shall I create a pull
> request?

Yes, on github.