[Rock-dev] typelib: merging toolchain-2.7 into master / OS 10.9

Peter Soetens peter at thesourceworks.com
Mon May 26 21:31:57 CEST 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Alexander Duda <Alexander.Duda at dfki.de> wrote:

> Am 20.05.2014 um 15:17 schrieb Sylvain Joyeux <bir.sylvain at gmail.com>:
>

> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Alexander Duda <Alexander.Duda at dfki.de>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a particular reason why toolchain-2.7 is not merged into
>> master?
>
> Because the orocos toolchain developers develop on the side because that's
> easier for them, and believe that it is my job to merge the stuff back into
> master proper. We therefore end up with a fork of typelib, which we wanted
> to avoid in the first place [/rant]

The real reason for sticking to toolchain-2.7 is because we've been
using Ubuntu 12.04
the last 2 years and that master branches did no longer work on 12.04,
due to a Ruby
versioning shift to 1.9.x (and now 2.x?). I know this doesn't apply to
typelib (C++),
but it halted our merging of master of orogen and related packages.

We did try to do the merge.

>> I am asking because the current master is still using dyncall
>>
>> 0.6 which is not compatible with OS X 10.9.
>
> dyncall is being unused for a pretty long time in typelib ... I think that
> if it is indeed problematic, we should probably just rip out the support for
> method calls from typelib altogether. (These days, ffi would be a much
> better choice)
>

> Ok, I wil have a look.

If dyncall goes, I'm in favour as well because it indeed goes wrong on Mac OS-X.

We're very much in favour of helping to port to OS-X. We did quite
some work to that end
the past months for orocos-toolchain.

Peter