[Rock-dev] rock.core composition and statistics

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Thu May 29 21:24:46 CEST 2014

Hello everyone...

As discussed, as part of the github migration, I've merged rock.base and
rock.toolchain into a single rock.core organization and package set, as
well as add some "core" packages that were still in the rock package set
itself. It would be nice to review the list of packages to check whether
(1) the choices I've made make consensus and (2) I've not forgotten some
packages that you think should have been there. You can see it there:
   http://github.com/rock-core

The list of packages that could still IMO go in rock.core (but are not
there yet):
 - slam/envire and slam/orogen/envire

"Being in rock.core" does not mean "super limited commit rights" (only some
base packages will be limited, see
http://rock.opendfki.de/wiki/WikiStart/Standards/RG9). It means that we
acknowledge that they should be handled with extra care and that pull
requests and code reviews should be the norm when committing to them rather
than the exception.

I've also generated statistics for all of rock.core, as that's how we
decided to create the initial "Core Developers" team. The result is there.
It is far from perfect (there is for instance common ancestry between
orocos.rb and syskit in my case), but I think it does give a good ballpark.
   http://www.jhaampe.org/rock_core_stats/authors.html

I've cut the stats at 01.01.2010 to avoid skewing the results too much for
packages that have been developed a lot longer (typelib, rtt, roby).

The list IMO shows the usual suspects:

  Sylvain
  Alex
  Thomas
  Jakob
  Janosch
  Matthias

I'm leaving Sascha out (nothing personal Sascha) because most of his
contribution has been the inclusion of the qtpropertybrowser in gui/vizkit.
If we remove this, it makes him go an order of magnitude lower than
Matthias.