[Rock-dev] A small look ahead ... Ruby 1.9 is going to die.

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 20:12:54 CEST 2014

Yes, we've been there already with 1.8 and we'll have to do it again with 1.9.

1.9's end of life is 02/2015. That's less than 6 months from now. The
good news is that I am running on 2.1 for the last few months already,
and there's nothing bad to report (actually, as a developer, there are
only good things - good CPU and memory profiling ! Finally !)

14.04 ships with 2.0 and we will discontinue 12.04 in October (wait,
that's ... now ! Hard to fathom that we're in October, it's so bright
and shiny here !).

So ... We'll need a plan. In the same way that we first dog-fooded 1.9
among developers, I would like to suggest:

 - that we warn the users about this right now
 - that rock developers start using 2.0 or 2.1 right now
 - that we start recommending 2.0 in 2 months time (that would be beginning of
   december)
 - we discontinue 1.9 support in june 2015.