[Rock-dev] A small look ahead ... Ruby 1.9 is going to die.

Vincent vittori vittori.vincent at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 09:52:36 CEST 2014

Hi

Can you ( somebody) point out how to correctly change ruby inside the rock
environment ?
I remember that it was not that easy for 1.9 already and since it's quite
tricky with rock, a step by step process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

V.v

> Yes, we've been there already with 1.8 and we'll have to do it again with
> 1.9.
>
> 1.9's end of life is 02/2015. That's less than 6 months from now. The
> good news is that I am running on 2.1 for the last few months already,
> and there's nothing bad to report (actually, as a developer, there are
> only good things - good CPU and memory profiling ! Finally !)
>
> 14.04 ships with 2.0 and we will discontinue 12.04 in October (wait,
> that's ... now ! Hard to fathom that we're in October, it's so bright
> and shiny here !).
>
> So ... We'll need a plan. In the same way that we first dog-fooded 1.9
> among developers, I would like to suggest:
>
>  - that we warn the users about this right now
>  - that rock developers start using 2.0 or 2.1 right now
>  - that we start recommending 2.0 in 2 months time (that would be
> beginning of
>    december)
>  - we discontinue 1.9 support in june 2015.
>
> Sylvain

Vincent Vittori
Robotic engineer MARUM
University of Bremen
4 Leobener Straße, 28359 Bremen RAUM 1520

<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=&hl=en>*DE Mobile :* +49 152 242 37 465
*DE Office  :* +49 421 218 65 641
*FR Mobile :* +33 612 12 35 39
*Email:* vittori.vincent at gmail.com