[Rock-dev] Decision on the fate of external/ ?

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:42:17 CEST 2014

> Am 08.09.2014 um 11:03 schrieb Leif Christensen:
>> Most important for me is a coherent directory structure and to see at a
>> glimpse, if a package has external origins, mainly to get a clou, if the
>> external code is kept up-to-date.
>
> +1 "external" folders mean to me "not maintained by rock developers"
> (exept making them build with autoproj by patches)

Can you or Matthias explain in practice what is gained by doing this
separation ? How would we deal once let's say a PCL contributor
becomes a Rock developer ? Would we then move pcl to slam/ ? And then
if he leaves we move it back to external ?

In addition, I start to feel that even external packages should have a
"Rock maintainer", which pushes updates / maintains patches / pushes
the patches upstream (ideally). Right now, it's a free-for-all which
is problematic.