[Rock-dev] timestamps on motion commands

Steffen Planthaber Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Thu Jan 15 13:39:09 CET 2015

Hi,

Am 15.01.2015 um 12:08 schrieb Matthias Goldhoorn:
> This was a discussion some time ago, in the past it was disagreed
> because we don't want to change the datatype as i remember.

We on this list decided that the timestamp when the command is executed
is the important timestamp for robot control, not the time when the
command was created and sent.

As a result I created a timestamped version of commands::Motion2D as
samples::Motion2D, as we needed this time to predict the robot (sensor)
behavior while executing the command.

There is a template-based implementation of samples::Motion2D in

https://github.com/rock-core/base-types/blob/master/base/samples/CommandSamples.hpp

Implementing a new command sample (with timestamp) is quite quick, just
add the class to the header above:

namespace base{
   namespace samples {
     class Motion2D : public TimeStamped< commands::Motion2D >{};
   }
}

btw: it must be a class not a typedef, otherwise orogen will fail (last
time i tried).

In the class you also can add constructors to convert between the
command sample and the non-timestamped version, e.g. samples::Motion2D
has a constructor from commands::Motion2D which allows writing the
command directly to the sample output port.

Best, Steffen

> But i would feel more comfortbale with a timefield so
>
> +1
>
> Matthias
>
> On 15.01.2015 11:34, Jakob Schwendner wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I noticed that all commands in base/types don't have a time field (e.g.
>> Motion2D). I would vote for having one there, too.
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jakob

  Steffen Planthaber
  Weltraumrobotik

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de