[Rock-dev] Transition time for "Streamline Header patch" which might break packages

Matthias Goldhoorn matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de
Wed Jun 3 09:44:52 CEST 2015

Dear dev's:

I would like to apply the following patch:

https://github.com/orocos-toolchain/orogen/pull/15

It is hanging around a while because it was not well tested.
Now we are in post-release phase so it is time for critical patches.
Unfortunately this Patch might break the compilation of a few
components, but increase the compilation time and compilation memory.
The only change is that now components must include type explicitly
instead thrust that the toolchain does all needed includes.
I tested the compilation on the complete rock toolchain and already
fixed all packages that needs to be fixed. Same for Avalon setup.
The numer of affected packages were ~10 overall. So it is not a BIG
impact but is a change in the core-behaviour.

The question for me now is: How long should we wait after a announcement
before we apply the patch?
I would go for ~1 Week.

All users currently have the option to change to the rock-15.05 release
instead fixing their packages right now.

Thoughts?,
Matthias

--
  Dipl.-Inf. Matthias Goldhoorn