[Rock-dev] Who are the package maintainers?

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:20:45 CET 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:49 AM, Steffen Planthaber
<Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At least for the packages on github, aren't the maintainers those with
> write access to the repos?

Nope. Github authorization system is really not fine-grained so we
originally decided to have a per-subproject Maintainers team (re-read
the page I sent a few days earlier). Meaning that the github access
information is unreliable.

> I think managing a maintainer list additionally to the information  that
> is already on github is not mandantory. Also the list WILL get outdated.
> Who has write access to packages won't.
Of course it will. It's very commont to not revoke access unless
there's clear misbehaviour.

> Actually, only someone with write access can change the manifest.xml to
> update the maintainer itself. I know that having write access is not the
> same as maintainer (which could leave rock development) but having write
> access is a similar responsibility and will never outdate.

This is where you are wrong. It seems that for some people I have made
a mistake, but I still am optimistic that we can behave all adult
software developers, and realize that the maintainer of a package is -
in the end - the one which sets the rule for it. Ergo, if you aren't
create a pull request.

> I also think it would be rather beneficial to use the manifest.xml ONLY
> for dependencies and put extra information in the readme.md that is
> automatically displayed on github.

Actually, it should be in both. The autoproj-based tooling cannot
reliably parse the markdown information.