[Rock-dev] Who are the package maintainers?

Steffen Planthaber Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Tue Mar 24 14:36:40 CET 2015

Am 24.03.2015 um 14:01 schrieb Sylvain Joyeux:
>>> and realize that the maintainer of a package is -
>>> in the end - the one which sets the rule for it. Ergo, if you aren't
>>> create a pull request.
>>
>> This is what I mean. The maintainer ->must<- be among those with write
>> access to the repo, others ->have<- to use PRs anyways.
>
> Others are *supposed to* follow whatever workflow the package
> maintainer and authors decided for this particular package. There are
> rules for rock core because all the rock users rely on it, but outside
> the core the individual package maintainers should IMO be free to
> decide which workflow works best for them.
>
> My point is: they're *supposed to*. There is nothing in github
> forbidding them to push to any repository inside the organization they
> are part of.

So the maintainer list is more for bigger organisations to "prevent"
devs there to push each others repos? Or at least to have a reason to
blame someon after he pushed into the repo that is maintained by someone
else?

>> So maintainners can only be the guys who have write access, lets say for
>> rock-core, jacob thomas and you, all others can't be a maintainer, as they
>> cannot accept PRs at all.
>
> Look better, 6 people currently have write access to rock core.
Look better, rock-core hat only three owners, the "reviewers" don't have
write access at all ;-)

> addition, we're bootstrapping the list of maintainers. In the long
> run, you're probably right. In the short term, I am pretty sure that
> some of the package maintainers on github still don't have access to
> their repositories ...

Good point.

Steffen

--
  Steffen Planthaber
  Weltraumrobotik

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de