[Rock-dev] [Rock-users] Rock web site

Steffen Planthaber Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Wed May 13 10:33:18 CEST 2015

Hi,

Am 13.05.2015 um 08:31 schrieb Matthias Goldhoorn:
> Hi Cajahyba,
I think Tiago Cajahyba is not on rock-dev, is he?

> Maybe you can already setup the new page on github and we can create a
> dummy domain that links to this page.

We are currently tying to set it up using gh-pages on this repo:

https://github.com/cajahyba/rock-website

(Please look at the first issue)

> I have no opinion in general, but i think github pages are the way to go
> (as already discussed), but we have to find a pratical way to get the
> api in there without the need to change all packages.

gh-pages has a 1GB limit, I guess the APIs would have to stay on the old
location.

I guess the way to go is to generate a json file on containing the
package information (names and urls) on the API server and generate the
pacjakges page using JS on the new website. As curretnly the
packages.html is generated using the information, this should be quite easy.

A (quick and dirty) implementation for the page generation is already
available using the github json api to generate it

http://planthaber.github.io/rock-package-list/packages.html

When the generated JSON file also includes the source urls we can still
request the github api for issues etc. when the code is located on github.

Steffen

> (don't like the idea to force all package developers to use markdown)
>
> Best,
> Matthias
>
> On 12.05.2015 16:21, Tiago Cajahyba wrote:
>> Hi Matthias,
>>
>> During a conversation with Sylvain, we discussed the possibility to
>> migrate the current website to github. Github provides free web
>> hosting for sites developed in jekyll (it's a markup language, and a
>> ruby gem). The only thing we need to do is create a branch with a
>> specific name and put the website there.
>>
>> Projects like angularJs are moving to GitHub. A good thing about this
>> approach is that you will get a "domain" like "myproject.io
>> <http://myproject.io>" for free.
>>
>> We can discuss more about this.
>>

>> Cajahyba
>>

>> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 4:11 AM, Matthias Goldhoorn
>> <matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de <mailto:matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Cajahyba,
>>
>>     How is the plan here?
>>
>>     The problem is that the web sever supports only static content, we
>>     can install some daemons...
>>     jekyll seems like a daemon??!
>>
>>     We need (currently) to build the website statically on a
>>     buildserver and then upload it via ftp
>>
>>     Best,
>>     Matthias
>>
>>     P.S. moved topic to rock-dev it is more a developer topic than a
>>     user topic
>>     P.P.S. have four the 'flavor'//'release' support in mind?
>>

>>     On 11.05.2015 19:16, Tiago Cajahyba wrote:
>>>     Hello,
>>>
>>>     Although there is still much work to be done, I began the
>>>     conversion of the new web site to Jekyll. Those who wish to, can
>>>     follow the progress on:
>>>
>>>     https://github.com/cajahyba/rock-website
>>>

>>>     Cajahyba

>>     --
>>       Dipl.-Inf. Matthias Goldhoorn
>>       Space and Underwater Robotic
>>
>>       Universität Bremen
>>       FB 3 - Mathematik und Informatik
>>       AG Robotik
>>       Robert-Hooke-Straße 1
>>       28359 Bremen, Germany
>>
>>       Zentrale:+49 421 178 45-6611  <tel:%2B49%20421%20178%2045-6611>
>>
>>       Besuchsadresse der Nebengeschäftstelle:
>>       Robert-Hooke-Straße 5
>>       28359 Bremen, Germany
>>
>>       Tel.:+49 421 178 45-4193  <tel:%2B49%20421%20178%2045-4193>
>>       Empfang:+49 421 178 45-6600  <tel:%2B49%20421%20178%2045-6600>
>>       Fax:+49 421 178 45-4150  <tel:%2B49%20421%20178%2045-4150>
> [...]

  Steffen Planthaber
  Weltraumrobotik

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:

  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de