[Rock-dev] PCL version in Rock

Sylvain Joyeux bir.sylvain at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 16:46:49 CET 2016

If we were to use the git, we probably would use the latest released
PCL version, which would not really help with the "did not get
updated" situation. It would indeed improve the "override-ability".
But by having everyone "update" privately, Rock as a whole loses.

Updates to external packages like this usually require someone to push
for it, because if noone wants it, then noone will bother to check
whether the new PCL version(s) have backward compatibility issues
(thus breaking other people's code), and noone will bother push to get
it updated.

Completely hypothetically: reasons why there has not been such a push
might be that 1.7.1 -> 1.7.2 does not seem as huge as you are making
it sound (at least according to
https://github.com/PointCloudLibrary/pcl/releases). I.e. if you had
code working on 1.7.1, 1.7.2 is not a major improvement to you. And
that since Ubuntu 15.04, pcl is provided by binary packaged (which are
packaging 1.7.2).

Ironically, the fact that 1.7.2 is mainly a bugfix release means that
we could pretty easily update ... but that's up to the PCL users to
push for that change (which you are doing right now, thanks !)

Sylvain