[Rock-dev] New feature: vizkit3d debug drawings

Steffen Planthaber Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
Tue Sep 19 10:06:39 CEST 2017

Hi,

Am 18.09.2017 um 18:49 schrieb Sylvain Joyeux:
> IMO, given that vizkit3d will depend on osgviz, then osgviz should be
> in rock-core and not rock-gui.

True

> Friendly piece of advice: don't add debug-only codepaths in your
> components. If you need to visualize debug info, build data structures
> that go on a port and visualize that.

Using data structures and sending them trough ports is already possible,
the visualizer itself is a vizkit3d plugin. So headless mode and
debugging from logfiles is already possible (optional though).

The use of ports is just a change in a single initilization line:
CONFIGURE_DEBUG_DRAWINGS_USE_PORT(RTT::TaskContext* taskContext);
instead of
CONFIGURE_DEBUG_DRAWINGS_STANDALONE();

A port is created with name of the drawing, so:

DRAW_SPHERE("some_pos", pos, 1, vizkit3dDebugDrawings::Color::red);

Will create a port named "some_pos". Of course you can put multiple
primitives to the same drawing to create complex info on a single port.

Steffen

> [...]
>
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Steffen Planthaber
> <Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We (especially Arne) worked on providing an easy way to display 3D debug
>> information using vizkit3d:
>>
>> https://github.com/arneboe/gui-vizkit3d_debug_drawings
>>
>> e.g. draw a circle just by using
>>   > base::Vector3d pos(-3, -3, -3);
>>   > DRAW_SPHERE("some_pos", pos, 1, vizkit3dDebugDrawings::Color::red);
>> within the Tasks code. (see the repos Readme.md for more information)
>>
>> This macro either can display the sphere in a local window where the
>> task was started or the information sent through a port to be displayed
>> remotely.
>>
>> We think that this is really helpful for debugging and is also ready to
>> be merged into the core.
>>
>> But it relies on an patched version of gui/vizkit3d, that uses the
>> "osgviz" library (providing improved click events, click callbacks, and
>> providing primitives etc.)
>>
>> https://github.com/rock-gui/gui-osgviz-osgviz
>>
>> This is the according diff for vizkit3d:
>> https://github.com/rock-core/gui-vizkit3d/compare/master...envire:osgviz?expand=1
>>

>> The way to get the drawings into the rock core would be:
>>
>> * Add the osgviz library to the rock.core package_set
>>    * as it is a dependency of vizkit3d then
>> * Merge the "to be created" PR for vizkit3d (diff above)
>> * Move the vizkit3d_debug_drawings lib to the rock-gui organization
>> * add vizkit3d_debug_drawings to the rock.core package set
>>
>> One open question would be if the osgviz library should stay in
>> rock-gui, or if it should be moved to rock-core?
>>
>> This is why I used this list to ask rather than staring the PR directly
>>
>> Any opinions?
>>

>> Best, Steffen
>>

>> --
>>    Steffen Planthaber
>>    Weltraumrobotik
>>
>>    Besuchsadresse der Nebengeschäftstelle:
>>    DFKI GmbH
>>    Robotics Innovation Center
>>    Robert-Hooke-Straße 5
>>    28359 Bremen, Germany
>>
>>    Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:
>>    DFKI GmbH
>>    Robotics Innovation Center
>>    Robert-Hooke-Straße 1
>>    28359 Bremen, Germany
>>
>>    Tel.:     +49 421 178 45-4125
>>    Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-0
>>    Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
>>    E-Mail:   Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de
>>
>>    Weitere Informationen: http://www.dfki.de/robotik
>>    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>    Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Kuenstliche Intelligenz GmbH
>>    Firmensitz: Trippstadter Straße 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
>>    Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster
>>    (Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
>>    Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
>>    Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
>>    Sitz der Gesellschaft: Kaiserslautern (HRB 2313)

  Steffen Planthaber
  Weltraumrobotik

  E-Mail:   Steffen.Planthaber at dfki.de