[mary-dev] What is the xml breakindex attribute in boundary?

Marc Schroeder schroed at dfki.de
Fri Oct 16 07:53:32 CEST 2009

Paulo,

the issue you are describing is related to the difference between text
and speech: some textual elements simply are not spoken. Therefore tehre
is of course no such concept as a duration of a punctuation. Rather,
some dots are treated as sign of an abbreviation (as in your "Mrs."
example below), others as punctuation triggering end-of-sentence.

Indeed when writing MARY we hadn't thought of linking back to the
original text. I understand this is now causing you trouble;
unfortunately I have no simple solution.

Regards,
Marc

Paulo Levi schrieb:
> I'm having problems synchronizing text to speech in with some "."
> dots, that appear to be translated to silences.
> For example "Mrs."
> Translates to this xml where there is no "t" or "mtu" for the dot (.),
>  just a boundary apparently. This makes my event system to send wrong
> events. Note that i can't use simple whitespace matching because
> sometimes the synthesis process break things without white space and
> it would go even worse. Any way to get these lengths? (or at least to
> fix this particular case, it is already mostly working).
> <mtu orig="Mrs">
> <boundary/>
> <t accent="!H*" g2p_method="rules" ph="' m I - s @ s" pos="NN">
> missus
> <syllable accent="!H*" ph="m I" stress="1">
> <ph d="250" end="0.25" p="m"/>
> <ph d="60" end="0.31" p="I"/>
> </syllable>
> <syllable ph="s @ s">
> <ph d="120" end="0.43" p="s"/>
> <ph d="40" end="0.47" p="@"/>
> <ph d="120" end="0.59000003" p="s"/>
> </syllable>
> </t>
> </mtu>
> <boundary breakindex="5" duration="70" tone="L-L%"/>
> </phrase>
> </prosody>
> </s>
> <s>
> <prosody pitch="-5%" range="-20%">
> <phrase>
> <boundary/>

Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Coordinator EU FP7 Project SEMAINE http://www.semaine-project.eu
Portal Editor http://emotion-research.net
Team Leader DFKI Speech Group http://mary.dfki.de

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: schroed at dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-302-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: