[mary-dev] [mary-users] Extremely lenghty portions of text error out

Marc Schroeder marc.schroeder at dfki.de
Thu Jul 1 09:28:21 CEST 2010

Hi Josh,

since this is about MARY programming, maybe we should continue this
discussion on the mary-dev list.

On 30.06.10 22:29, Joshua Reetz wrote:
> Hi Marc,
> Sorry if this is a duplicate, I don't think my other one got sent properly.
>
> The first one I tried over 5000 words had many paragraph boundaries and
> it still ran out of memory. As far as the programming goes, I write java
> programs as well, so if you tell me what needs to be done and where, I
> can get it done.

Thanks for offering to help! This is appreciated.

> Also, I saw that the synthesizer only used one thread,
> I have a multiple core machine and I would like to take advantage of
> that. Is there a hidden switch or something I can enable? Or would I
> need to program this in too?

For the moment we use several threads only for working on several
requests, but using one thread per request. What you suggest (and it
should indeed work) is to allow a single multi-paragraph request to use
a configurable number of threads, each processing one paragraph at a time.

The place to start looking is marytts.server.Request.process() [1].

About saving processing results to disk, maybe the right place to do
this would be MaryData.append() [2]?

Best regards,
Marc

[1]
http://mary.opendfki.de/browser/tags/4.0.0/java/marytts/server/Request.java#L273
[2]
http://mary.opendfki.de/browser/tags/4.0.0/java/marytts/datatypes/MaryData.java#L579

> Thanks for the help,
> Josh
>
> On Jun 30, 2010 at 12:48 AM, Marc Schroeder<marc.schroeder at dfki.de>  wrote:
>   >Hello Josh,
>   >
>   >are there paragraph boundaries (= empty lines) in your text? MARY breaks
>   >up text into processing chunks at paragraph boundaries.
>   >
>   >I admit I haven't tried to synthesise 5000 words at once; at the very
>   >least what it will do is queue the audio data in memory before sending
>   >it. Of course this could be temporarily saved to disk with some
>   >programming... if we find a person to do that.
>   >
>   >Best regards,
>   >Marc

please note my NEW phone number: +49-681-85775-5303

Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Coordinator EU FP7 Project SEMAINE http://www.semaine-project.eu
Project leader for DFKI in SSPNet http://sspnet.eu
Project leader PAVOQUE http://mary.dfki.de/pavoque
Associate Editor IEEE Trans. Affective Computing http://computer.org/tac
Editor W3C EmotionML Working Draft http://www.w3.org/TR/emotionml/
Portal Editor http://emotion-research.net
Team Leader DFKI TTS Group http://mary.dfki.de

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: marc.schroeder at dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-85775-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: