[mary-dev] Adding allophones features

Ingmar Steiner ingmar.steiner at dfki.de
Wed Oct 27 14:49:14 CEST 2010

Hi Fabio,

basically you just insert features and define the phones in the allophones file. You may want to exercise restraint in adding features at this level that could otherwise be, or perhaps already are, implemented at a different one. (For example, I see that allophones.it.xml contains a feature "stressed"... I don't know much about Italian phonology, but perhaps this is already covered by the "stressed" feature of syllables...) On the other hand, existing AllophoneSets (for German and English, for example) implement a vowel length feature "vlng", which does not apply to consonants. Perhaps you would want to collapse this with your "long" feature for consonants?

The XML file is loaded and parsed by AllophoneSet. You may want to extend the FeatureProcessorManager for Italian and provide byte-valued feature processors for any new phonological features you implement. Please be aware that there are several places throughout the code where certain phonological features (or even allophone names) are hard-coded, or implicitly assumed to contain certain values. These should of course be more flexible, but I'm afraid we currently don't have the time to clean this up... Feel free to update the it-branch accordingly if you run into any problems in this respect!

Best wishes,

/**
 * Ingmar Steiner
 * Researcher, Language Technology
 * German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence
 *
 * Campus D3 1 +1.18
 * D-66123 Saarbrücken
 * Germany
 * Phone: ++49-681-857-75-5263 (NEW!)
 * Email: ingmar.steiner at dfki.de
 *
 * Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH
 * Trippstadter Straße 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany
 * Geschäftsführung:
 * Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
 * Dr. Walter Olthoff
 * Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
 * Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
 * Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313