[mary-dev] Art/Technology residency in Spain, question/proposal

Jaume Ferrete jaume.ferrete at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 14:14:19 CET 2015

Dear,

This is an email related to developing a voice for MARY, as part of an
artistic residency and production grant. I kindly ask for the lists
oppinion on the feasibility of the project, and the possible involvement or
support of MARY TTS devs, as a collective or individually.

I work as an artist, based in Barcelona, and I've been working for a few
years on the subject of the voice. I have been in residency, worked and
exhibited internationally, including at Museum of Contemporary Art of
Barcelona, District Berlin, Helsinki International Artists in Residency
Program, Urban Video Project (New York), Matadero (Madrid), Vessel (Bari,
Italy), Secession (Viena), and other venues. I am also part of "Sons de
Barcelona <http://barcelona.freesound.org/>" a sound pedagogy project
initiated by the Music Technology Group of Pompeu Fabra University
(MTG/UPF) and related to project Freesound <http://freesound.org>.

I am at the moment preparing a submission that involves MARYTTS for a grant
at LABoral <http://laboralcentrodearte.org/> ; an art and technology
related institution in Gijón, Spain. F

I would like to develop a MARY TTS voice, exploring and expanding on the
process; documenting its different phases, paying attention to its
aesthetic and ideological implications, and putting them in context;
including its historical context regarding the reproduction of the human
voice.

As I understand it, the process requires a professional team and proper
recording equipment. The grant is a two month residency, with a budget of
+- 8000€, and involves a final exhibition.

As I do not have experience in the concrete process I am not sure if the
time is feasible, and if the budget would allow me to pay for the worrk of
the professionals that I need to develop the voice.

It would be very helpful for me if you could give me your opinion on its
feasibility regarding the voice production process; and maybe if MARY's
devs would be interested in collaborating or supporting a project like this
in any manner.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this email, and your help.

All the best,
Jaume