Smart Data & Knowledge Services
The success of an enterprise is significantly determined by its handling of data and knowledge: Sustained commercial success depends on current information about customers, environment, trends and developments, their quick association with the enterprise’s offers, possibilities and strategies as well as on their efficient application in dynamic business processes.
Headed by Prof. Dr. Prof. h.c. Andreas Dengel, the „Smart Data and Knowledge Services“ research department develops innopvative technologies for the goal-oriented exploitation, distribution, archiving, maintenance, and communication of data, information and knowledge.
Our research is dealing with tools, models and innovative solutions addressing information assets that are captured in large multimedia data sources. This requires sophisticated mixed model-driven but also data-driven machine learning approaches for enabling enhanced decision making, insight discovery, behavioral analysis, coherence and anomaly detection, forecast, as well as process optimization. This comprises event, entity, and pattern recognition problems but also context modeling as well as their mutual employment for the development of adaptive an autonomous systems.
We aim at the realization of automated assistent systems for the collection, assessment and analysis of multiple, multi-modal and multi-media data, for the structuring of work processes and for the pro-active delivery of relevant information in all business areas.
The strength of our solutions results from the combination of four relevant topic areas:
- Topic area Multimedia Analysis & Data Mining uses machine learning systems to uncover and exploit content, sentiments and trends from various dynamic data sources
- Topic area Pattern Recognition detects, learns and interconnects pattern and structures in documents, data, and processes
- Topic area Knowledge Work develops personal assistent systems and support tools for individual people who work – alone or in groups – on complex knowledge-intensive tasks
- Topic area Organizational Memory offers technologies for the structuring, semantic processing and flexible management of relevant knowledge in the enterprise and for its application in the context of dynamic business processes.
Important competence centers and living labs are associated with the research department:
- Competence Center Deep Learning
- Living Lab smart office space
- Living Lab Smart City
Our research topics comprise (selection):
- Deep Learning
- Multi Media Analyse
- Data Mining in social networks
- Data Mining in technical sensor data
- User observation & activity recognition
- Smart Agricultural Technologies
- Business process-oriented knowledge management
- Distributed Organizational Memories
- Multi-Media Content Management
- Evolutionary Ontology Creation
- Music Information Retrieval
- Semantic Web & Semantic Desktop
- Document Analysis & Understanding
- Case-Based Reasoning
- Agile Processes & Knowledge Work
- Digital Forgetting
- Eye Tracking
- Geo-based Information Systems
- Application-Oriented Basic Research
- Evaluation and Benchmarking of AI Systems
- Individual, problem-oriented application development
- AI components for complex software systems
- Pilot studies
- Market research and feasibility studies
- Consulting and design for the realization of organizational memory solutions