DFKI-LT - CLARIN
Common Language Resources and Technology Infrastructure
The CLARIN project is a large-scale pan-European collaborative effort to create, coordinate and make language resources and technology available and readily usable.
By language resources and its technology we mean all knowledge sources based on language (written or spoken) and the tools to carry out operations on such language material.
CLARIN offers scholars the tools to allow computer-aided language processing, addressing one or more of the multiple roles language plays (i.e. carrier of cultural content and knowledge, instrument of communication, component of identity and object of study) in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
CLARIN Key Points
- Comprehensive service to the humanities disciplines with respect to language resources and technology.
- Technology overcoming the many boundaries currently fragmenting the resources and tools landscape as it is given by institutional, structural and semantic interoperability problems.
- Tools and resources that will be interoperable across languages and domains, thus addressing the issue of preserving and supporting the multilingual and multicultural European heritage.
- Comprehensive training and education programs that include university education in the different member states.
- Improvement and extension of web-based collaborations, i.e. creating virtual working groups breaking the discipline boundaries.
- Development or improvement of standards for language resource maintenance.
- A persistent and stable infrastructure that researchers can rely on for the next decades.
CLARIN Key Technologies
- It includes Data Grid technology to connect the repositories as being implemented in the DAM-LR pilot project and web services the various centres provide;
- It builds on ideas launched by the Digital Library community to create Live Archives, and will further such initiatives;
- It incorporates, and contributes to, Semantic Web technology to overcome the structural and semantic encoding problems;
- It incorporates advanced multi-lingual language processing technology that supports cultural and linguistic integration.