[mary-dev] main development branch

Ingmar Steiner ingmar.steiner at inria.fr
Mon Oct 24 11:27:55 CEST 2011

Dear Jerome,

On 23.10.2011 12:04, Jerome Perri wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to submit 2 changes:
>
> I want to add secondary stress (I propose the " char) functionality and

Mary already has secondary stress (in deviation from SAMPA but closer to
IPA, a comma). Please have a look at
http://mary.opendfki.de/browser/trunk/marytts-common/src/main/java/marytts/modules/phonemiser/AllophoneSet.java

> I would like to change the halfphoneunitname and phoneunitname to
> ShortStringTranslator instead of ByteStringTranslator.

You're probably referring to HalfPhoneUnitName and Phone (not
phoneunitname), which are ByteValuedFeatureProcessors (not
ByteStringTranslators). Please see
http://mary.opendfki.de/browser/trunk/marytts-runtime/src/main/java/marytts/features/MaryLanguageFeatureProcessors.java

Not sure at this point, but this change might well burn all bridges of
backward compatibility, which is of course not something to be taken
lightly. In the worst case, no existing Mary voice would work anymore
afterwards.

I agree that it might be desirable to have more than the anticipated
number of phones in a given set (for instance to implement lessemes).
But this must be very well-tested, and in any case an alternative
implementation via a separate feature would give a more compatible result.

> I am not sure if I should simply commit my changes via svn.

This is only possible with an OpenDFKI account.

> I would first of all like to test it in compiled form, however I posted
> my question on how to compile mary-common.jars but did not get a response.

Yes you did:

On 07.10.2011 11:23, Nickolay V. Shmyrev wrote:
 > Hello Jerome
 >
 > You might want to switch to ant builder in Eclipse. See
 >
 > http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%
 > 2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.user%2FgettingStarted%2Fqs-81_basics.htm
 >
 > or just compile using ant from command line.

> I think it would be really good if I test it here before I submit.

I couldn't agree more strongly!

> So my question would again be:
> Can somebody give me instructions on how to compile mary-common.jars in
> Eclipse/Ubuntu?

To reiterate:

To compile the Mary jars, run ant.

To debug Mary in Eclipse, this may not even be necessary, depending on
your version of Eclipse. (Currently, Ubuntu repos are still stuck with
Galileo, but you can STFW for workarounds.)

In any case, the instructions at http://mary.opendfki.de/wiki/Eclipse
should really be sufficient for Mary 4.x.

> The wiki-page states that information on how to do it would be there,
> but it is not.

For the mavenized trunk, which is the place any experimental things like
what you propose belong (see your own quote below), things are indeed
not yet documented in the Wiki. Hopefully, someone will find the time to
improve this soon!

Best wishes,

-Ingmar