[mary-users] Fwd: comments regarding accessibility

Marc Schröder schroed at dfki.de
Tue Dec 12 08:48:05 CET 2006

From: "Tony  M Dart" <tony at seeingear.org>

Dear Dr Schroeder

I have just downloaded the MARY TTS system. he Java installer did not
work over the web, but downloading the lot, then installing, worked
perfectly immediately (System Windows 2000 Pro).

I saw your comment on the forum re accessibility. I am registered blind,
and use a large (20 inch) LCD screen at 800 x 600 dpi. I found your
website difficult to use, because the pages cannot be resized and each
line must be scrolled across to read. This, in fact, was one of the mjor
faults highlighted in a UN report on web-site inaccessibilty.

The product itself seems wonderful and maybe just what I need. I am
searching for a way to read books for the blind. My first step was to
set up a charity so that I could get a licence to get copyrighted
material legally. Then I set up a library of books - this is available
to any E U citizen who is visually impaired at www.seeingear.org. It is
the only one such librrary in Europe, I think.

Now I have a corpus of material that I can add to I eed to find a way of
adding expression - either by offering modified texts for local
rendering or by emploting my own server and either streaming audio or
recording to CD and sending out. My belief is that I will need to
mark-up the texts in a number of ways - for structure (to assist i
navigation), for emotion (using EARL?) and maybe for voice or character.
Some fun times ahead!

My question - how can I find out more about how MARY works? What I need
is a working overview of the flow of control and which module produces
which outputs, rather than a detailed examination of the code. Where do
you recommend I look? I am a Perl programmer, so will have to learn Java.

My thanks, and my appreciation for what seems to be a very well thought
out and solid package.

Regards
Tony

Tony Dart