[mary-users] Distortion and buzzing

Marc Schroeder schroed at dfki.de
Fri Dec 21 09:06:59 CET 2007

Chuck,

ah, the marvels of working with computers... just when you thought the
basics are working in a trustworthy way, a software upgrade proves you
wrong... :-)

What you describe sounds to me like a bug in the Java sound
implementation in the Java 5 version shipping with Leopard. I will be
upgrading my Intel MacBook Pro to Leopard some time early next year, so
I will be able to witness the problem myself...

... but if you want to pinpoint the problem separately from the MARY
system, you could use the command-line audio player that comes with
mary's signalproc.jar:

java -cp ".../MARY TTS/java/signalproc.jar"
de.dfki.lt.signalproc.util.AudioPlayer myfile.wav

If that shows the same problem, then we know it's got nothing to do with
TTS as such. Next thing I would try is converting the mono file to
stereo with some external software (e.g., Audacity), and trying to play
back that one. Next thing, use a sample rate natively supported by the
audio hardware (44100 or 48000 Hz)... enough to keep oneself busy.

If you feel really exporatory, you could try with the Java 6 developer
preview release, and see if the problem is still in that one...

Anyway -- for now, best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Marc