[mary-users] Amharic speech synthesis

Marc Schroeder schroed at dfki.de
Fri Dec 21 17:32:14 CET 2007

Dear Bereket Kasaye,

thanks for your email. Apologies for copying it to the mary-users list,
but the issue is related to other people's questions as well.

Actually, your question has two parts:

1. how to build a tts system for Amharic;

2. how to link HMM training to MARY TTS.

Regarding 1, the creation of new languages with MARY is obviously
becoming an interesting topic for more and more people. Ideally we
should create a toolkit for this, allowing for the creation of a minimal
system with limited effort. But that will not happen overnight.

In the meantime, you could look at the content of
http://mary.opendfki.de/browser/trunk/java/de/dfki/lt/mary/modules/tib
to see what was done in a students' project to create a minimalistic
Tibetan speech synthesiser. Instead of the rule-based ContourGenerator
and KlattDurationModeller, you could use subclasses of
http://mary.opendfki.de/browser/trunk/java/de/dfki/lt/mary/modules/CARTDurationModeller.java

and
http://mary.opendfki.de/browser/trunk/java/de/dfki/lt/mary/modules/CARTF0Modeller.java
as the current unit selection voices do, or rely on hmm-based components.

Regarding 2, we have a version of that for German and English, but need
to clean it up a bit before publishing it.

Hope that helps at least a bit, best regards,
Marc (off for Christmas holidays now...! :-)

--
Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher
DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123 Saarbrücken, Germany