[mary-users] MARY install error

Marc Schroeder schroed at dfki.de
Thu Oct 4 05:43:07 CEST 2007

Hi Gregor,

the reason for the FileNotFoundException is probably a timeout issue in
network communication -- pack18.jar is there and 244MB large (probably
one of the arctic voices).

I see the point of your question -- with the large unit selection
voices, it is becoming increasingly cumbersome to use the graphical
installer (already, the standalone installer cannot be used because the
install file becomes too big -- java won't open a 1.5GB .jar file it seems).

Originally, the reason for having a graphical installer is that it hides
most of the complexity of modularity and different operating systems to
the users, and makes mis-configurations less likely.

How about this model for the future:

* the system itself and most data are distributed as a (standalone or
web-based) installer like it is done now;

* voices are made available for download separately. Any volunteer for
making this part as comfortable for the user as possible?

Best wishes,
Marc

PS: In the short term, here is what you can do to limit the risk of
install failure: do a first install without any unit selection voices;
then re-install, in the same directory, only the core system with one
unit selection voice at a time.

--
Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher
DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123 Saarbrücken, Germany