[mary-users] Too many jars

Marc Schroeder schroed at dfki.de
Thu Feb 19 08:35:53 CET 2009

Hi again,

Paulo Levi schrieb:
> I was trying to make a minimal set of jars and things needed to make a
> plugin system, where my users can just download a optional package and
> voila there is a HMM voice.
> To this end i was trying to use the Request object and use threading
> myself. The returned voices were a empty array. After much skulking in
> the source i am more confused than ever. As an aside Mary server is a
> mess.

I don't dispute that. As a matter of fact, my team has been spending the
last year-or-so cleaning up what had been growing "organically" for ten
years. The code in the trunk (what will be MARY 4.0) should be
substantially cleaner, better structured, and hopefully easier to
understand and extend.

> Is freetts needed at all?

Yes, for some of the English language components. In MARY 3.6, also for
the unit selection synthesis code.

> The module system is highly confusing and i'd like not to use it at
> all if possible. Looking at HTSSynthesizer it appears that i can, but
> not for the voices themselves. How can i simulate the configuration of
> each voice in code instead?

Modularity has been one of the most basic design principles of MARY. You
should be able to flexibly plug together the components you need. Each
MaryModule has an input type and an output type; for any given request,
the input data is passing through a (dynamically assembled) chain of
MaryModules  to generate the output data. It means that you do not have
to provide centrally the list of modules to apply -- this "emerges" from
the available modules. I can see that this may look confusing, but it
definitely is flexible.

> What are the jars that can be safely eliminated from the distribution
> if only using english hmm voices?

Point taken, there are very many jar files. We should document
dependencies as you would like to see them. This will take some time.

> If later a user decides to use hmm german voices? Or adding for
> example the english tagger (or any new other) Mary can use it
> automatically?

Yes, that is the purpose behind the config files in conf/ representing
MARY components. They list cross-dependencies, and MARY has a
"self-healing" mechanism (which works to some extent) which identifies
missing components and offers to download and install them where that is
possible.

Regards,
Marc

Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Coordinator EU FP7 Project SEMAINE http://www.semaine-project.eu
Portal Editor http://emotion-research.net
Team Leader DFKI Speech Group http://mary.dfki.de

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: schroed at dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-302-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: