[mary-users] One stress marker is not enough?

Thorsten Westermann thorstenwestermann at gmx.net
Sat Jun 12 12:00:14 CEST 2010

Hello!

Let's take the word "UPS", pronounced "? u: - p e: - E s" in German.

As far as I was able to see, we can set only 1 stress marker in Mary, we use the ' symbol.

But that sounds not natural.

In my opinion, the word should be pronounced

? u: (no stress)
p e: (weak stress)
E s (strong stress)

We could introduce new stress markers like e. g. ' for weak stress and '' for strong stress.

This way we would be able to produce more natural output.

Does anybody agree or disagree?
I would be interested to find out how others think about it...

MfG,
Westermann