[mary-users] Accent vs. Stress

Nickolay V. Shmyrev nshmyrev at nexiwave.com
Mon Oct 11 07:37:28 CEST 2010

2010/10/11, Thorsten Westermann <thorstenwestermann at gmx.net>:
> Hello!
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> I was wondering why we have both stress and accent features when they are
> basically the same, and just didn't come to any conclusion.

They are not the same. Traditionally in Festival "stress" is a lexical
stress, something that is specified by lexicon. Accent is intonational
feature, it depends on phrase. For example accent could be present
only in content words. Accent could be derived from presence of
intonation events for example from ToBI event in the syllable. Or it
can be predicted independently and be the feature for ToBI event
prediction.