[mary-users] Accent vs. Stress

Thorsten Westermann thorstenwestermann at gmx.net
Mon Oct 11 11:56:09 CEST 2010

Hi Nickolay,

okay, I think I have understood it:

1)
The stress is predefined, it's always the same. Or it should be, as long as the person doesn't speak a dialect or so.

2)
But the accent can be totally different.
Example about accents for the word "eyes":

"You got EYES!" (="See for yourself, don't ask me!")
"You got EYES!" (=Wonderful eyes!)
"You GOT eyes!" (=You are not blind!)
"You got eyes..." (=They are still there, stop bothering)
Something like that.

Did I understand correctly?

When this is correct, how can Mary make assumptions about how a word is accented? I see this byte feature, e. g. "Accented_Syls_From_Phrase_Start".

Does Mary look at the pitch or loudness or similiar, or is it a rule-based assumption that a unit is accented and in which way?

MfG,
Westermann

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

--