[mary-users] Install Openmary without X11 on Linux

Ingmar Steiner ingmar.steiner at inria.fr
Mon Dec 19 13:24:11 CET 2011

Dear Martin,

thanks for the input! I had assumed that the OP was asking about
installing and running the Mary server on a system with no X11
installed... and the term "headless" in my response confuses things by
implying that X11 *could* be installed, but that that the environment
has no display. In the latter case, your suggestion is of course a good
solution.

For what it's worth, I feel compelled to point out bandwidth-efficient
alternatives to X forwarding, including various flavors of VNC, NX, and
RDP, some of which even forward audio.

Best wishes,

-Ingmar