[mary-users] Install Openmary without X11 on Linux

Martin Eisenbarth eyesee at foobarlab.net
Mon Dec 19 14:50:16 CET 2011

Hello Ingmar,

Am 19.12.2011 13:24, schrieb Ingmar Steiner:
> For what it's worth, I feel compelled to point out bandwidth-efficient
> alternatives to X forwarding, including various flavors of VNC, NX, and
> RDP, some of which even forward audio.

Yes, alternatives to X11 forwarding like VNC, NX, RDP, etc. do even
offer more functionality regarding remote headless administration. But
in essence X11 forwarding using ssh requires just a minimum of
installation. For example there is no need to install a fully-fledged
X11 environment (like Window Manager, Display Manager and lots of X11
programs). As far as I have seen X11 forwarding only requires a minimal
set of X11 libraries, as a lot is done on the client side. So this might
be the best minimally invasive procedure (although it might be somehow
complicated for newbies).

Just another question on installation in general:
Maybe making a "textmode" installer (e.g. activated by commandline
switch) would be very useful. In short future I will also have to
install Mary on my headless server. Guess a "textmode" install does not
exist yet.

Cheers,
Martin