[mary-users] inaccessible components installer

Ingmar Steiner ingmar.steiner at inria.fr
Wed Dec 28 20:12:49 CET 2011

Dear Simon,

sorry about the difficulties; I don't think the accessibility was ever
evaluated for the InstallerGUI...

A quick and dirty workaround would be to access the URL the installer
uses to determine the available components:

http://mary.dfki.de/download/4.3.1/mary-components.xml

For those components you need (<voice> and <language> elements), the
package URL can be assembled from the component's <package filename>
attribute and the <location> tag. For example, to manually get the
"cmu-bdl-hsmm" male US English HSMM voice, you would download the file

http://mary.dfki.de/download/4.3.0/mary-cmu-bdl-hsmm-4.3.0.zip

This file can simply be unzipped in your MARYBASE directory and the
voice should be available once you restart the Mary server.

Of course this sidesteps the dependency resolution, and there is no
simple way to uninstall the unzipped components again; you'd have to
manually delete all the files from the zip. However, to disable the
voice without removing the files, you could simply rename the
MARYBASE/conf/en_US-cmu-bdl-hsmm.config to
en_US-cmu-bdl-hsmm.config_disabled or similar.

A general remark:
Please note that any use of components unzipped in this fashion (instead
of installing them) is still bound by the components' respective
licenses. These are provided in the <license href> attributes in the XML
file given above.

Best wishes,

-Ingmar