[mary-users] OpenMary on iOS devices

Clifton Craig clifton.craig at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 20:28:29 CEST 2012

Hi Suresh,

I'm not completely understanding your issue. When you say Safari has disabled live stream functionality do you mean pointing the iPhone web browser to an instance of Mary server does not work?  I do have a thorough amount of experience in getting TTS to work on Mobile Safari and the issue is not related to streaming, rather it is related to progressive downloads. The media players in mobile safari expect the server to support progressive downloads, which is a feature where web clients can requests specific ranges of the response rather than requesting the entire response. I implemented this in a servlet that integrated both OpenMary and Nuance TTS engines and it was rather tricky as multiple requests would come from a single Safari instance and the server had to be smart enough not to re-issue the synthesize command and rather pull from a prior cached result. Please elaborate on where you specific problem is and how it is related to user interaction. Are you looking to avoid the embedded player control so the audio plays automatically? I'm no Javascript expert but I'll do what I can to help.

Clifton Craig
Mobile Software Engineer
clifton.craig at gmail.com