[mary-users] Phonemes Times issues with MaryTTS.

Ingmar Steiner ingmar.steiner at dfki.de
Thu Apr 25 21:17:34 CEST 2013

Dear Ricardo,

thanks for such a detailed report! Here's some feedback.

First of all, what you've listed in this message is not ACOUSTPARAMS,
but REALISED_ACOUSTPARAMS. The former is the processed input text, with
all of the predicted pronunciation and prosodic parameters (duration,
f0). Then comes the unit selection process, which finds the optimal
sequence of units, given that prediction, from the selected voice
database. The result is REALISED_ACOUSTPARAMS.

In a perfect world, the selected units would match 100% with the
prediction, but reality of course bites. So the durations of the the
phones and syllables are adjusted according to the selected units, and
that's why there are differences. ACOUSTPARAMS will never match up with
the acoustic output of the unit selection, and the mismatch will
accumulate with longer input. Use REALISED_ACOUSTPARAMS instead, and you
will get the actual durations. Incidentally, REALISED_DURATIONS is just
a shortcut to get those durations in XWaves .lab format.

Intonational boundaries such as those predicted from some punctuation
tokens currently have a fixed duration of 400 ms.

What confuses me is that you explain the issue you observe in such a way
that I believe you're requesting ACOUSTPARAMS instead of
REALISED_ACOUSTPARAMS, but the XML you paste indicates that you are
requesting with the latter.

I still hope that perhaps this helps answer your questions.

Best wishes,

-Ingmar

/**
  * Dr. Ingmar Steiner