[Rock-dev] plugins, namespaces and header installation

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Mon Dec 20 12:19:48 CET 2010

There are two possible policies for namespaces and headers for C++
plugins. We need to define a rule, as it would apply to all kinds of
plugin-based extensions we have, as for instance vizkit, mars, ...

Example: planning/corridor_planner defines a vizkit plugin. Two options:

  1. the plugin class is defined in the namespace of the library it is
     extending. Theferore, we get vizkit::CorridorPlannerVisualization
     and the header is installed in
     vizkit/CorridorPlannerVisualization.hpp

  2. the plugin class is defined in the namespace of the library that
     defines it. Therefore, we get corridor_planner::Visualization and
     the header is installed in corridor_planner/Visualization.hpp

Thoughts ?